Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Google Update

It's certainly a huge update but I'm hoping that a lot of the results will still revert back to what they were.

I've never done well in Google so it won't affect me much but it's nice to see a few results in the SERPS. These past few days, my sites have disappeared completely.

Do a search for some more obsure keywords and you find that Google is more laden with spam than before. In my mind (and I am a little biased) these are the worst Google results I've seen from the searchers point of view.

I'm also not sure about the backlink debate. While I respect that backlinks have been devalued, at least reciprocal links, you do still need some sites linking into yours to be found by the engines. Catch 22?

Anyway, whatever Google throws at us will be no big surprise. Typical of any business situation I've seen, once a conglomerate reaches a certain size, they're willing to help the large companies and couldn't give a toss about the smaller guy trying to earn a crust.

Look at any small town thats growing in size, once the big guys get enough of a hold, the smaller guy is squeezed out.

I'm still optimistic that this update is just a blip and things will settle down soon. Fingers crossed that Google starts seeing sense.

No comments: