Saturday, December 18, 2004

Frustrated with the Search Engines

This week has seen huge updates with all the leading search engines. Google, Yahoo and MSN Beta to name the larger ones have all changed the serps listings for searches.

Needless to say I've dropped almost all my decent positions and I'm not in the happiest of moods. Google and MSN didn't do all that much for me anyway but I have good listings in Yahoo and they've all gone.

The bit that gets me most with these updates is that they all seem to favour more backlinks and the way they see a sites popularity. For the smaller Webmasters like myself, this is a pain as I've been spending my time, although it's been limited these last few months, on new quality, relevant content rather than link swapping.

It's a shame that rather than content being the foremost positioning tool, swapping links is deemed the best. This just leads to spammy sites obtaining good rankings rather than people who are posting good quality content.

Rant over..... I suppose it's back to swapping links.

No comments: